02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and TWAS have established a fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries in the South who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in a field of the natural and related applied sciences, in departments and laboratories of public and private universities of Turkey and TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
Opening date of this fellowship call : 15 September 2022
Closing date of this fellowship call : extended to 12 December 2022
- Information on the application, evaluation and implementation of the Fellowship is detailed in the “2216B TUBITAK TWAS_2022 Call for Applications” document that can be downloaded below.
- Applications to the Fellowship must be submitted online only via the TÜBİTAK online application system. To access the online application system of TÜBİTAK please see: http://e-bideb.tubitak.gov.tr/
- The Fellowships are tenable at the departments and laboratories of public and private universities in Turkey for a minimum period of 6 months to a maximum period of 12 months.
- Eligible fields under the programme are the following:
a. Agricultural Sciences
b. Structural, Cell. & Molecular Biology
c. Biological Systems & Organisms
d. Medical & Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
e. Chemical Sciences
f. Engineering Sciences
g. Astronomy, Space & Earth Science
h. Mathematical Sciences
j. Computing and Information Technology.
- To help candidates in their choice of a suitable host institution, a list of public and private universities in Turkey is available at https://www.yok.gov.tr/universiteler/universitelerimiz (in English: https://www.yok.gov.tr/en )
- In addition, TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes’ names and links are available from the following links:
- TÜBİTAK MAM, https://mam.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK BİLGEM, https://bilgem.tubitak.gov.tr/en/frontpage
- TÜBİTAK UZAY, https://uzay.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK SAGE, https://www.sage.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK RUTE, https://rute.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK UME, https://www.ume.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK TÜSSİDE, https://tusside.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK TBAE, https://tbae.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK ULAKBİM, https://ulakbim.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK National Observatory, https://tug.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- TÜBİTAK BUTAL, https://butal.tubitak.gov.tr/en
- The Fellowship is offered for a sandwich research visit to PhD students from developing countries who are registered for a PhD in their home country or another developing country (other than Turkey). Candidates must have passed the PhD qualifying exam or be in an advanced stage of their PhD. In this regard, they will have to submit a letter from their PhD thesis advisor which confirms that s/he is fully engaged in the research laboratory work for their Ph.D. thesis.
- TWAS will be responsible for providing travel support to Turkey and from Turkey to researchers’ home / living country and will also cover visa related expenses.
- TÜBİTAK will be responsible for a monthly allowance to cover accommodation and living expenses and medical facilities for minor ailments as available in Turkey at amounts to be specified by TÜBİTAK.
- The study fees, including tuitions, registration and research costs, should be waived or covered by the host institutes.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be permanent residents and nationals of a developing country in the South (https://twas.org/developing-countries-south).
- Candidates from Science and Technology Lagging countries (STLC) and women are especially encouraged to apply. For the list of STLC, please see https://twas.org/66-countries.
NB. Developing countries that are not in the list are also eligible to apply.
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Turkey or any developed country;
- Applicants already onsite in the host country (Turkey) are not eligible to apply for this fellowship;
- Hold a master’s or equivalent degree in natural and related applied sciences (in one of the fields specified above);
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- By the deadline date of the application, having registered to a doctoral in natural and related applied sciences (in the fields specified in the call text), in a higher education institution in the home country or another developing country. S/he must have successfully passed the PhD qualifying exam or be in an advanced stage of their PhD research in natural and related applied sciences (in the fields specified in the call text). Applicants must certify this criterion with an official Registration & No Objection Certificate (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website). This document must be issued within three months before the application date, and it should also mention briefly the timeline and research work planned;
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website) from an eligible department, institution or laboratory of a public or private university in Turkey or TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
- NB. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s) in Turkey, and NOT to TÜBİTAK. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection. The acceptance letter must be signed by the highest authority of the chosen host institute. The maximum number of academic advisors in Turkey can be 2 (two).
- Provide the Research proposal form prepared in the format determined by TÜBİTAK (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website);
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English. If medium of education was not English: provide evidence in English, e.g. standardized test card (TOEFL, IELTS etc.) or a University-issued letter certifying the knowledge of the language. If medium of education was English, please write a brief statement indicating what type of education was in English, e.g. high school, BSc or MSc degrees, this statement must be signed and dated by the applicant;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members;
- Not have previously received or been awarded a fellowship under this programme;
- Must return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
Submitting the application
- The call for applications is open from 15 September 2022 until 12 December 2022.
- ALL applications to the Fellowship must be submitted online only via the TÜBİTAK online application system. To access the online application system of TÜBİTAK please see: http://e-bideb.tubitak.gov.tr/
- To be able to submit the online application form to TÜBİTAK, candidates must first create a profile on the platform in the TÜBİTAK Researcher Information System (ARBİS) that is available at https://arbis.TÜBİTAK.gov.tr/home.jsf
- The information of the researchers in the Researcher Information System (ARBIS) to apply for the programme and the academic advisor(s) in Turkey must be up-to-date before applying online.
- Applicants must be aware that TÜBİTAK and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Queries concerning the submission of applications via the online portal of TÜBİTAK should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 687
TÜBİTAK - BİDEB (The Department of Science Fellowships and Grant Programmes)
The Coordinatorship of Research and Fellowship Programmes
2216-B TUBITAK-TWAS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Programmes
Tel: +90 0312 444 66 90
|Host Acceptance Letter_Template||100.79 KB|
|Research Proposal Form_Template||251.42 KB|
|Registration and No Objection Certificate_Template||97.61 KB|
|2216B TUBITAK TWAS_2022 Call for Applications||599.82 KB|